I want to share with you five negative emotions you can absolutely do without. These are the ones that signal to us how we might need to change things in our lives or alert us to the fact that something's just not right. However, to positively move forward, some of these emotions can stop you dead in your tracks if you're not alert to them. They may surface as nagging thoughts during life situations, and that is ok; but you must immediately dispel them if you want to live happy, content, and be truly successful. This is not an exhaustive list of emotions you can do without; they are by far the most damaging (in my opinion, anyway):
1. FEAR: There is no emotion, I believe, as harmful as fear. Just about every negative emotion arises out of fear of some kind. What may surprise you is that fear is a completely unnecessary emotion. You can realistically look at why you fear what you do and quickly recognize it is not useful nor welcomed. It used to be that fear alerted you to a potentially deadly situation (like getting eaten by a ferocious animal). But nowadays, unless there is a potentially deadly situation (unfortunately, like it is for some of our men of color who fear police who are supposed to protect them); there truly is no need to let fear stop you from doing anything. I recall recently allowing fear of what others would think stop me from sharing something I know would have benefited the audience. I felt badly about it and made the decision I would push past that fear going forward. (Yes, even Giggy has her moments!)
2. JEALOUSY: The second emotion that servesno good purpose is jealousy. And I am not talking about the minor twinge you get when you see someone with the perfect body and you wish you had it; or the nice new car that you want. I’m talking that type of jealously that stops you in your tracks, takes up way too much of your mind space and creates rifts between you and those you care for. This type of jealousy must be eliminated. One way to rid yourself of jealousy forever is to practice gratitude. Instead of being jealous of someone else, practice thankfulness for what you have, and even further, practice thankfulness that they have what they have. Rejoice with others over their blessings! This can really help to turn around this negative emotion into something very positive that can help you in many areas of your life.
3. HATE: Hate can be viewed as the worst of the negative emotions. It can be the most extreme level of some of the other negative emotions, such as jealousy. People who hate will usually have other deep issues that would do well to be brought out into the light and dealt with. Some say if you look upon someone else with hatred, it could be that you are seeing that ‘thing’ in you that you hate. And, if you are not careful and dwell on the hatred consistently, you will become the thing you hate. If this sounds like you, reach out for help. There is no shame in getting help for something that you feel you can't control, and you will be much more emotionally healthy in the end. Before you go for that help, however, consider forgiving that person or persons. Forgiveness dispels hatred; it really does. If you can forgive others (and yourself), you will allow the negative emotion of hatred to melt away into the sea of forgetfulness. However, like I said above, get help if you are stuck in hatred – get help before it destroys you.
4. Revenge: Another negative emotion that serves absolutely no purpose is revenge. Revenge is likened to retaliation, getting even with someone, or taking upon yourself to avenge yourself or someone else based on your own judgment. When you take revenge out on someone, it doesn’t hurt them, it hurts you. Instead of seeking revenge, seek to improve yourself; seek to forgive and let go. When you eliminate an emotion that is taking up a lot of emotional space and energy in your life like revenge, you open that space up to receive much more positive emotions, and those positive emotions will help you achieve your greatest successes.
5. Greed: This emotion is at the forefront of the downfall of many a nation, a business, church or even a family and it can be your downfall if you let it control you. A wise carpenter once said “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” This is something we must seriously contemplate. Learn to be content with what you have. In place of greed, again, work on accepting and then improving your own situation so that you feel satisfied and fulfilled. When we recognize how very blessed we already are, the vast number of things we have, especially compared to the rest of the world, hopefully, we will let go of greed and turn into givers! Wouldn’t that be great?
Friends, we can all live a much more rewarding life, filled with positive emotions when we take the time to consider and analyze those negative thoughts that creep in upon us. Let’s bring positivity into this world by starting a revolution of thinking, deciding and changing our negative habits. You can do it – I believe in you!
Copyright: Image by StockUnlimited